29 January 2011

Healthy Morning Muffins

These are great!  I have LOTS of really ripe bananas on my counter.  Later today, the rest of them will become Banana Chip Cookies.  But this week I came across a recipe for Healthy Morning Muffins while perusing old Everyday Food Issues.  I can't believe I didn't notice these when the magazine came last year.  It is from Issue # 69, January/February 2010.

I will share the changes I made with you here, but the link to the original is above.

Healthy Morning Muffins (these instructions are for a single batch:  about 12 muffins)
Double batch made 32 muffins for me.

*Do the prep first.  Especially if you decide to make a double batch, shred the carrots first.


1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries
3 Tbsp. canola oil
1 large egg
1/3 cup skim milk
4 medium carrots, shredded
1 medium ripe banana, mashed

1.  Preheat oven to 400*.  Place papers in the muffin pan or spray with nonstick cooking spray.  In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt until there are no lumps.  Stir in oats and raisins.  Add oil, egg, milk, carrots, and banana and stir until blended.

2.  Fill each muffin cup with 1/4 cup batter.  Bake unitl a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 20-23 minutes.  Serve warm or at room temperature.  (to store, keep in an airtight container, up to 3 days).

I will let you know how they freeze if they last that long!

No comments:

Post a Comment